Operation Military Kids (OMK)
Brief Description of Program
Operation Military Kids is a nationwide program began by the U. S. Army. It's goal is clear: to team with America's communities to provide support to the children and youth of families impacted by the global war on terrorism.
As part of OMK, the Florida 4-H Military Program supports the "civilian turned military" families right here in Florida before, during and after parents are deployed. Focus is on the National Guard and Reserve members who are isolated from a military installation. With Extension in all Florida counties, a unique partnership is developed to assist military families.
OMK seeks to help Florida's military kids cope with the stress of having a deployed parent in the following ways:
- Working with schools to ensure that staff members and teachers understand the unique needs of military students.
- Educating the public on the impact deployment has on the families of those deployed and on the communities as a whole.
- Creating support networks for Florida's military youth when parents are deployed.
- Providing recreational, social, and educational programs for military youth.
- Florida OMK brochure
- Operation Military Kids Organization
- Florida Operation Military Kids
- Florida OMK 2009 Summer Camps
University of Florida IFAS/Extension
4-H Youth Development
Polk County Extension Service
PO Box 9005, Drawer HS03
Bartow, FL 33831-9005
(863) 519-8677 ext. 135
FAX (863) 534-0001